In many parts of the world, the fight against traffic congestion is the norm. In most cases, people use a two-pronged approach; reducing the road traffic and enhancing the capacity of the road. CTRMA recommends taking small steps to gain a giant leap into the future of vehicular transport. Having the developed systems of vehicular transport that include the cloverleaf, flyovers, and express lanes is one way to ensure that traffic jams to not become a menace in the roads. Efficient road transport is the key to development in the cities, but the traffic jams choke the roads significantly, causing delays that can be quite expensive. Congestion can make the road transport inefficient, increase environmental pollution, and cause huge losses.
The collection of toll payments is one way to maintain the existing roads while making the necessary efforts to construct more roads. Besides increasing the capacity of the urban roads, the department of transportation can encourage people to use the ring roads or use alternative routes. By establishing some toll stations in the entry points, the municipalities can discourage many motorists from entering the town. Today, most of the modern cities have bike-friendly roads. However, establishing the toll stations forces the motorists to stop. Such stoppages can disrupt the flow of traffic, turning a small challenge to a huge problem. The CTRMA advocates for smart roads that have the ICT sensors. These sensors allow the motorists to pay for these charges electronically, thereby reducing the congestion.
The prospect of creating a smart road entails the collaboration of civil engineers and ICT technicians. Such a partnership can deliver the following benefits:
- Alerting a driver to avoid the congested areas. If the motorists can avoid the congested areas, it is possible to deal with them easily.
- Reducing the amount of pollution in the cities is possible once the motorists avoid the urban roads and prefer the peripheral roads.
- Reducing the congestion is an easy way to save time and money.
- Using the smart roads help the motorists to drive safely and avoid the road accidents.
- Increasing the parking charges in the urban areas helps to discourage the people from driving to the towns unless where necessary.
- The installation of the adaptive traffic control systems and other technological innovations can make the urban roads safe and efficient. A single system that controls the traffic lights while monitoring the prevalent conditions will ease the congestion easily.
Learn more about the Director of the CTRMA – Mike Heiligenstein